Can I use a GPS receiver to improve accuracy?
All external GPS receivers can be used as long as they are compatible with Android. We tested the Garmin GLO™ 2* in conjunction with the app and were very satisfied with the result. Even indoors, we had a much better accuracy compared to using only the mobile phone. This receiver is an additional device that is connected to the mobile phone via Bluetooth and transmits location data. As the receiver is paired using Bluetooth, you will not be limited in the use of your phone. Android does not natively support Bluetooth GPS receivers, thus an additional app must be used. The Garmin GLO™ 2 can be purchased here.*
How can I connect the Garmin GLO™ 2 to the app?
- Turn on the receiver and wait until the LED flashes blue.
- On your phone, navigate to Settings > Bluetooth.
- Select ‘Garmin GLO 2’ to pair as a new device. Info: Don’t worry, if the device does not stay connected.
- Download Bluetooth GPS from the Google Play Store. This app allows your phone to use the signal provided by the receiver. (Bluetooth GPS is a third party application and is not affiliated with The Mantrailing App).
- In order for Bluetooth GPS to be able to transmit the signal, the developer options need to be enabled first. To do this, follow one of the first three items on this page.
- Open your device settings > System > Developer options. Locate the entry ‘Select mock location app’ and select ‘Bluetooth GPS’.
- Now open the app ‘Bluetooth GPS’.
- Select ‘Garmin GLO 2’ from the list of devices.
- Check the box ‘Enable Mock GPS Provider’.
- Now open ‘Settings’ at the top right and tick ‘Reconnect’.
- Navigate back.
- Now tap on ‘Connect’ and your mobile phone should connect to the receiver. As soon as the LED on the receiver is solid green and the position data is displayed in the view, you are done! The Mantrailing App will now use the data provided by the receiver.
Tip I: In future you can simply turn on the GPS receiver and press ‘Connect’ in the ‘Bluetooth GPS’ app.
Tip II: For further information on connecting to the Garmin GLO 2, please visit this article by Garmin.
All links marked with an asterisk (*) are so-called affiliate links. We receive a commission from the online shop if you make a purchase via such link. The price does not change for you.